It’s no secret that having healthy, glowing skin can be a struggle. But you don’t have to be a skin-care expert to look your best—a basic daily routine is all it takes to create a complexion you’re proud of. That’s why we created Skincare 101: Your Guide to Healthy, Glowing Skin. In this comprehensive article, you’ll find expert-recommended tips and advice for creating your own personal skincare routine—no matter your skin type or budget. Read on to learn how to get the beautiful skin you deserve.
1. Preparation: Getting Started on Your Skincare Journey
1. Preparing Your Skin for Its Journey
It’s easy to get overwhelmed when you’re starting out on your skincare journey. You have mountains of information, tons of products, and so many opinions to consider – it can be hard to know where to start. The key is taking things slowly. To get the optimum results, it pays to take things one step at a time and prepare your skin for what is to come.
Below are a few tips to help you get your skin ready and set you up for success:
- Find your skin type: To get the best results, you need to understand your skin type. This will help you find the right treatment, products, and routines that will work for it.
- Clean your skin: To remove buildup and prepare for product application, you need to wash your skin daily with a gentle cleanser that won’t leave it dry or irritated.
- Exfoliate: You should exfoliate every other day, either with an exfoliating scrub or with a gentle facial brush, to remove buildup and keep your face looking fresh.
- Tone: Once you’re done cleansing, toning will help even out your skin and clean up any excess dirt.
- Protection: Sun protection is a must! Always apply a SPF when you go outdoors, and reapply if you’re going to be exposed to sun for extended periods.
Knowing your skin type, cleansing and exfoliating, toning, and protecting it are key steps to creating a skincare routine that works with the unique needs of your skin. Put in the effort to take of your face now so that you can get the glowing, healthy skin you’ve always wanted in the future.
2. Nourish and Hydrate: Building a Skin-Friendly Diet
Our bodies need certain minerals and vitamins to keep our skin healthy, and they must be obtained from our diet. Eating well is important for maintaining the tone and appearance of our skin. Just as you would exercise to improve your body’s physical well-being, it’s important to feed your skin the right nourishment from natural and plant-based foods:
- Carbohydrates: Complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, beans, and legumes provide our body with adequate levels of energy to keep our cells healthy and strong.
- Vitamins and minerals: Vitamins A, C, and E, as well as zinc, are essential for skin health and should be part of our diet every day.
- Essential fats: Unsaturated and Omega-3 fatty acids are needed for the skin’s natural elasticity, firmness and moisture levels.
It’s also important to stay hydrated and keep our skin cells nourished. Try to drink plenty of water throughout the day and pair your meals with hydrating drinks such as smoothies, herbal teas, and even water-packed fruits such as melons, grapes, apples, or cucumbers. The combination of healthy food and plenty of hydration will help to keep your skin happy and looking rejuvenated.
3. Cleansing and Toning: Achieving Clean and Balanced Skin
- Cleansing: Achieving radiant skin starts with a deep cleanse. To effectively cleanse skin, opt for a gentle foaming cleanser with botanical and natural ingredients. Apply the cleanser in gentle, circular motions to remove dirt, impurities, and makeup and rinse with cool or warm water. Doing this twice a day will help keep your skin balanced and healthy.
- Toning: After cleansing, use a toner to restore your skin’s natural pH balance and enhance energy. Choose a toner that is suitable for your skin type and that contains natural ingredients such as witch hazel, aloe,or chamomile extract. Used on a clean face, toners tighten pores, remove excess oil, and mattify skin’s complexion.
Toners also protect against pollutants and free radicals in the environment, helping skin stay strong and healthy. Regular use of toners can also help separate facial areas that have makeup residue stubbornly clinging to it. Make sure to follow your cleansing and toning routine with a moisturizer to help seal in the goodness and leave your skin feeling fresh and soft.
4. Moisturize and Protect: Loving Your Skin Everyday
Be Kind to Yourself
With our busy lives, stress and exhaustion, it can be hard to find the time, energy, and motivation to invest in our skin care. But taking a few moments each day to love yourself can be the greatest gift you give to yourself.
Start by pampering your skin with daily SPF protection and moisturizing. The SPF lotion should go on last, just after you’ve applied your make-up. If necessary, you can choose a moisturizer that includes sun protection. Moisturizing gives your skin an extra hydration boost and helps to lock in moisture. For problems such as oily skin, acne, or dry winter months, opt for oils or more specialized formulas.
Besides being self-care, moisturizing and protecting your skin can help to prevent:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Damage from the sun and other environmental factors
Make sure to establish your own routine and stick to it. Take time to appreciate the unique beauty of your features and appreciate the importance of looking after your skin.
Taking care of your skin doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the right information and proper routine, anyone can enjoy happy and healthy skin. Whether you’re just starting out on your skincare journey or looking to upgrade your existing routine, Skincare Routine 101: Your Guide to Healthy, Glowing Skin is the perfect start. Let’s make this the year you energize your skin – and your life!